Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Race To Being Beautiful

Beauty; is it a word, a meaning or just an expression? Or is it something much deeper than that; is it a pressure, a constant nag and a way of life?Ok, so what exactly does the word beauty mean? The Cambridge dictionary defines it as being the quality of being pleasing, especially to look at, or someone or something that gives great pleasure, so does this mean that beauty brings pleasure to us all. No. Not in the slightest. These days, we can not look at a beautiful person without feeling that slight pinch on arm. That's right, the green eyed monster. In many cases, seeing a beautiful person can lead to pleasure, but in others, it leads to the feeling of jealousy and pain, a reminder that we ourselves are not pleasing to the eye.But why do we feel the need to envy those graced with beautiful faces, figures and all round personalities? Should we all not feel beautiful in ourselves? The truth is, once we feel some sort of pressure or stress in our lives, we tend to fall behind in the beauty race. Kerry, 19, has just started college. She says, "I used to love getting ready for a night out with the girls, even if we only went for a meal. I would have my bath and get ready like any other girl my age, and for some reason, it was so fun. I would feel so good about myself, but since starting college, there's just no time for that now. I see all my old friends, still looking as gorgeous as ever on their nights out, and to be honest it just makes me feel ugly!" Kerry puts all her time in to her studies that she doesn't have her nights out anymore, but why should she have to stop feeling beautiful? There has to be something that a busy girl can fit into her schedule to make her feel gorgeous.Kerry says her friends all have jobs, but they still have to feel beautiful, so why doesn't she? Does this mean that a girl has to make herself up in order to feel sexy? No. There are other options. Heidi, 21, works full-time as a receptionist. She works long hours 5 days a week, spends most of her time with her boyfriend, and still has time to feel beautiful. "I know that I do work hard, and I have less time for myself than I used to, but I don't let this stop me from feeling sexy once in a while. Before I go to bed I like to put on moisturiser, my soft skin makes me feel beautiful. I also like to spray a little perfume in my hair each morning so I smell beautiful. I don't usually wear much make-up but my lip-gloss smile makes me look beautiful"So is the secret to feeling beautiful, all in the little things. Maybe all Kerry needs to do is take a few minutes each day to make her feel beautiful, and she would still have time for her college work. "Taking a few minutes each day to treat myself makes me forget about the pressures of work and life in general. Feeling sexy can help me have faith in myself to get things done", says Heidi.Both Kerry and Heidi treat beauty as a small aspect of their lives, they do not let is overtake everything they do. However, some people do. Some people let the idea of beauty and looking gorgeous become the most important thing in their lives. Take Jordan for example, she has become one of the world richest females, and it was all down to her looks. She even went to the extreme of having cosmetic surgery to make herself look more beautiful.Still, what does beauty mean? Is it something that we should all be conscious of, or is it only for 'beautiful people'? Well, we are all beautiful; there is a natural instinct in us all to look and feel beautiful, even if it is just occasionally, or every day. The trick is to unleash your sexy side, with just a few tricks in order to make your self feel and look beautiful.